Ferndown then and now
Roads, trees, buildings and even rivers have changed when we compare present- day Ferndown with evocative archive images from the past. The old photographs have been kindly supplied by Audrey Greenhalgh; the modern are by Joël Lacey
Published in October ’10
Penny’s Hill on Ringwood Road looking towards Longham. Where now there are phased traffic lights, lanes and filters, in the 1940s there was nought but an RAC man with a raised hand, or no traffic control at all.
Looking from Dudsbury Avenue up Church Road. If the parish church of St Mary is hidden by the trees on the right of the older photograph, the date must be after 1933, but it is possible that the photograph was taken before the church was built. There is a double-decker bus cresting the hill in the older shot.
It is interesting to note how much the road has been raised at the south-westerly of the two roundabouts at Tricketts Cross since the older picture was taken in the 1920s.
The main watercourse of the Stour at Longham has moved significantly from being right by Bridge House, to some tens of yards away by 2010, hence the need for such a wide angle image of the present day
The main entrance of the Horns Inn had moved to the extension building to the right. Although the pub no longer has an Inn sign hanging over the road – which wouldn’t be terribly lorry-friendly – the upright for the cantilevered wrought iron sign support is still in place. The original sign bears the then publican’s name, Albert Cutler, on a plaque visible in the older picture
Looking towards Tricketts Cross, this time from the Wimborne Road/Victoria Road junction in the early 1900s. The traffic has changed in terms of both type and volume